Back to Top
- Our 5KW Solar PV system provides us with most of the power we need.
- Our lights are either energy efficient /LED and in common areas are on sensor.
- The property is double glazed and fully insulated including the concrete foundation.
- The electric heaters in the suites have an inbuilt thermostat which automatically controls the heat of the room with 70% convection and 30% radiant heat delivery.
- Hotwater heating is supplemented in the winter by the wetback of the wood burner.
- We rely on rainwater for our water supply.Although we have 70,000 litres of water in storage we still ask you to be considerate when taking a bath or shower.
- The drinking water is filtered twice and UV treated providing you with clear, clean, chemical and flouride free water.
- Our tiled flooring areas are cleaned with a steam mop which means no cleaning chemicals and no excessive water is used.
- Showers have flow restricters to conserve water but the water pressure is still great!
- To keep our hot tub water in great condition we use a chlorine free sanitiser which does not harm the environment. The hot tub water quality is tested daily.
- Our commitment to the environment means we will only change your towels and bed linen after your third night stay. Naturally if you want to have fresh linen on a daily basis, you only need to let us know.
- We are in a constant process of reducing single use plastic without it affecting your stay in anyway.
- Help us reach our 100% recycling goal by thinking before you throw anything away and make use of the recycle bins provided.
- We have a compost bin for you to recycle your food scraps in. The compost will be used for garden maintenance and vegetable garden.
- Our community is a small but great one. We do our best to source locally.
- Our carpet has an ECS Level 4 certification (environmentally certified) and is made of 100% recycable material.
- We recycle old batteries and actively encourage guests to do the same by providing a battery recycling station at our reception counter.
- All our waste water stays on site. It is processed , filtered and grey water is recycled back into the gardens around the property.
- Our land started off as a paddock but we are progressing with our landscaping and returning it to its natural state with planting native plants and trees, common to Tongariro National Park.
- All our linen that is no longer in 100% pristine condition and any other surplus items are being donated to the local charity shop or advertised on local Buy and Sell pages for deserving families to give items and second life.
- We are committee members of the Horopito Residents and Ratepayers Society who are responsible for the preservation and restoration of the Old Horopito School which dates back to 1936.
- We support the Kidney Kids NZ by recycling all wine bottle tops and empty aluminium cans . Please help us by putting these items in the recycling bin in your room.
- We have supported the following charities and organisations by donating complimentary accommodation for auctions or prizes. We prefer to support either local charities or lesser known but very deserving national charities.
2015 National Park Village Roy Turner Playground fundraiser.
2015 Waimarino Art Awards
2015 Gastro-Intestinal Cancer Insititute
2016 Upside Downs Education Trust
- 2019 Blackdog Ball- regional annual event in support of Mental Health Foundation
- 2020 Supporting the Thankyou Healthcare workers website in response to Covid-19 pandemic
- We are very proud of our consistent 5 star rating on Tripadvisor since we opened our doors back in 2014.
- This means we are number 1 out of 27 speciality lodgings in Ohakune.